Monday, November 27, 2006

Jon Auer - Songs From The Year Of Our Demise

From Dylan's Blood On The Tracks to Beck's Sea Change, the break-up album has become a time-honored rock and roll tradition, if not a genre in itself. To the list of standout records in the category you can add this powerful solo album by Jon Auer, one-half of the songwriting duo from The Posies that has been turning out power pop gems for going on 20 years. As the title makes pretty clear, this record largely chronicles the end of a marriage, and the tone and subject matter of the songs span the entire range of emotions that a bad break-up can produce, from the initial denial and hope for reconciliation, to venomous anger, to ultimate resignation, sadness and the healing promise of a new relationship. Throughout, Auer exhibits the deft songwriting skill, terrific guitar work and sweet voice that Posies fans have come to expect and love. In fact, this is a far stronger record than either of the last two Posies releases, perhaps because this project is so personal to Auer, like something he just had to get out of his system. By turns lovely and cutting, but always smart, skillful and melodic, this is a welcome return to top form by an artist that I have enjoyed and respected for a long time.

LISTEN / DOWNLOAD: Four Letter Word -- absolute, unadulterated vitriol, set to a jaunty (but slightly menacing) piano riff.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is one that I had not heard anything about. Completely out of left field. I like the cut that you've provided a sample of here. I'll keep an ear out for him.

Frank said...

That's probably not the best track on the record, but I love how nasty the lyric is. If you've ever enjoyed The Posies, you'll liek this entire album.