In my book, Lindsey Buckingham achieved legend status long ago, due not only to his masterful contributions to Fleetwood Mac's classic records of the 70s and 80s ("Go Your Own Way," "The Chain," "Never Going Back Again," "Save Me A Place," "Big Love" and on and on and on), but also to the wildly inventive solo records he's released all-too-infrequently ever since. This is his first solo effort in 14 years, but it was well worth the wait. Alternating between pretty, polished ballads that recall his best work with the Mac and the sonically adventurous, multi-tracked, Tusk-like tracks that have typified his more experimental solo work -- and featuring his astonishing guitar-playing throughout -- this is a terrific collection of songs, and a welcome return by a gigantic talent. LISTEN / DOWNLOAD: To Try For The Sun, a lovely Donovan cover that features Lindsey's patented, and mindblowing, fingerpicking guitar technique.
2 comments:
He may be a musical genius, but I don't get it. I've tried. I'll just move on now.
Wow, really? I've gotten good feedback on this one, and I've seen it on more than a few other year-end lists this week. But then that's the fascinating thing about music, right? Few things are for everyone. Just ask the people who rag on me for not including Tom Waits.
Post a Comment