Monday, November 27, 2006

Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings The Flood

I'll say it again -- Neko Case is the greatest singer of her generation. Mark my words: Someday, music lovers will speak of her with the same reverence and awe that is reserved today for artists like Billie Holiday and Patsy Cline. And this, well, this is Neko's greatest album -- so far. Not only is her voice sublimely gorgeous and powerful throughout, but now she's developed into a songwriter of the highest order as well. The songs here, without exception, are beautifully crafted slices of gothic Americana, and Neko just pours herself into every one. "Star Witness," about a car crash that kills the narrator's lover, is especially breathtaking, heartbreaking, and the finest thing she's ever created. "Margaret vs. Pauline" hauntingly contrasts two women, one privileged and one poor, and neatly summarizes their respective fates: "One left her sweater sittin' on the train / The other lost three fingers at the cannery". Meanwhile, "Maybe Sparrow," a longtime fixture of Neko's live set that finally sees an official release here, is a lovely meditation on mortality. But the simple fact is that every song on this album is exquisite, and it's tough to cite some as highlights while failing to mention others. Add a supporting cast that consists of some of the best players in American music -- members of Calexico and The Sadies, the amazing Jon Rauhouse on banjo and guitar, my lovely homegirl Kelly Hogan singing back-up, and even the legendary Garth Hudson of The Band on keys -- and what you have is a record that is damn-near perfect, and that will transcend time. Hands down, my favorite record of 2006.

LISTEN / DOWNLOAD: Hold On, Hold On, with its wrenching opening line -- "The most tender place in my heart is for strangers / I know it's unkind, but my own blood is much too dangerous" -- and, Lord almighty, that voice.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Frank: Awesome list! No one does this better than you. I agree that Neko gets the record of the year, and I'm glad to finally know what the heck "Star Witness" is actually about.

Since you asked, here's my personal list, in no particular order. Not surprisingly, there's a fair amount of overlap. -- Rich

Cat Power - The Greatest

- Chan pulls it together with the help of the Memphis sound.

Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings the Flood

- Best singer in all of music delivers the country noir.

Centro-Matic - Fort Recovery

- They sound like The Blue Nile with grungy guitars. Enough said.

Calexico - Garden Ruin

- Southwestern music edges closer to pop.

Richard Butler - Richard Butler

- Former Psychedelic Furs frontman could sing the phone book and it would sound good. Here he is with a completely updated sound.

Sonic Youth - "Rather Ripped"

- New York noisemakers doing what they do best.

Strays Don't Sleep - Strays Don't Sleep

- Two Nashville songwriters united by a love for The Blue Nile (yes, another BN reference) come up with the sleeper gem of the year.

The Long Winters - Putting the Days to Bed

- Well-written, well-played, well done. Great pop record.

Bob Dylan - Modern Times

- Bob Dylan chronicles 20th Century American music.

Lloyd Cole - Antidepressant

- Damn, I love Lloyd Cole. This is classic Cole, complete with pointed observations on reaching middle-age.

The Be Good Tanyas - Hello Love

- As strange as it may sound, this is an small, old-timey, folkie/country record with a sweet funk edge to it (e.g., a cover of "When Doves Cry"). And great female harmonies.

Califone - Roots and Crowns

- Experimental craftsmen, sort of like an organic, Americana Radiohead.

The Hold Steady - Boys And Girls In America

- Perfect combination of Born To Run-era Springsteen and punk rock ethos.

Tom Waits - Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers, & Bastards

- Tom Waits throws away songs that are better than some artists ever write.

The Decemberists - The Crane Wife

- Indie goes all prog-rock and sounds excellent along the way.

Yo La Tengo - I Am Not Afraid Of You And I Will Beat Your Ass

- This record would be on my list based on its title alone, but YLT masterfully returns to form.

Josh Rouse - Subtitlo

- A quiet, delicate pop record that exudes contentment with place, both geographic and romantic.

TV On The Radio - Return To Cookie Mountain

- I love a band that sounds like nobody else (well, except maybe David Bowie, who guests on one track).

Tom Yorke - The Eraser

- Radiohead frontman combines melody and laptop electronica.

Lucero - Rogues, Rebels, and Sworn Brothers

- Whiskey-soaked bar music about girls and drinking. What else is there?

Frank said...

Again, awesome list -- much for me to investigate -- and thanks for putting it here for all to see.

Anonymous said...

Totally backing your call on the best female vocalist I've never seen live. What the hell am I thinking? I've only heard three songs from this album, the two that you mention and the one that you've made available. Now that I know that Kelly Hogan sings back-up, I really need to hop on this. I miss her.

Checking out the list above, I'm interested in hearing some of the Richard Butler. I've heard nothing about it.

No one has mentioned the Yeah Yeah Yeahs in their lists. No takers?

I'm still working on my list.

Frank said...

Cool, another list on the way, and from someone with unimpeachable taste.

BTW, PopMatters picks Neko's record as the best Americana record of the year, with a review that I could have written myself (and sort of did): http://www.popmatters.com/pm/columns/article/8842/2006-through-roots-colored-glasses/

Anonymous said...

I liked the new Yeah Yeah Yeahs, but not as much as Fever To Tell. The new one is more mature and Karen O seems to have turned a leaf somewhere remotely in the direction of the mainstream. In short, she seems to me to have grown up and calmed down a little bit. Which is probably a good thing, but not exactly what I wanted out of the YYYs. Just my opinion.

Another record that I loved this year that is in the vein of the old YYYS, albeit with even more punk ferocity, was the self-titled record by Nashville's Be Your Own Pet. That's a great record that I actually injured myself listening to on my iPod . . .

Anonymous said...

Finally stepped up and bought the whole physical CD. It sounds so much better cranked up to 11 in my car than through iPod headphones or my computers speakers. It's rocketing up my year end list (coming soon). I still miss Kelly Hogan, but I'm glad she's getting to do stuff like this.